Friday, May 16, 2014

I was thinking this morning how much I'm looking forward to the summer...long, warm days, sitting outside at night. One of my favorite things to do is listen to the cicadas and watch the lightning bugs at night.  I'm not really a fan of bugs, but I don't mind them.  I guess that's a good thing, because the warm climate in TN is ideal for lots of bugs...in comparison to what I grew up with in Oregon.  A few years ago, I did a summer camp for Pre-k kids and our theme was bugs.  We did bug crafts, read bug books, went outside and investigated bugs and made bug themes snacks for every day.  The kids loved it and the possibilities are really endless.


Can't wait for summer!


Some cool pictures that I've collected from my Pinterest board...Enjoy!
Cicada - gorgeous shot, just amazing colours.


Lightning bugs or fireflies are not flies and neither are they bugs, but they are beetles that can produce lights. Lightning bugs can light up during all stages of their lives, including larvae and pupae. In some species of lightning bugs, the eggs glow as well!
Lightning bugs. #garnethill #summerstyle
Turquoise cicada (Zamarra sp.) Photo: PBertner. Flickr via Fancy That #insects

2 comments:

  1. Stacy, I love these! I always get excited to hear the cicadas and see the fireflies, too. :-) That always means summer evenings on the porch underneath the stars. And by the way, I think cicadas are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so at first I thought the cicada was riding another cicada like a horse.... They are ugly and beautiful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete