Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Misconceptions...

I've seen all the adds for Miracle Grow products and the special potting soils for your plants.  My daughter even asked me when we bought flowers recently if I was going to get more potting soil. I said no, because my pots already had soil in them.  She said, "But Miracle Grow is better for the plants."  Why did she think that?  Was it just based on what she had heard on TV or did she really think that they plants "ate" the soil?

I found some explanation to that question. http://www.ncagr.gov/cyber/kidswrld/plant/nutrient.htm

"In general, most plants grow by absorbing nutrients from the soil. Their ability to do this depends on the nature of the soil. Depending on its location, a soil contains some combination of sand, silt, clay, and organic matter. The makeup of a soil (soil texture) and its acidity (pH) determine the extent to which nutrients are available to plants."

Ok...so that explains why when I mix up "plant food" in my watering can and it dissolves in the water, I'm feeding my plants, because they are getting the dissolved minerals from the water...BUT the soil isn't necessary for the plant's food.  I've sprouted beans in a wet paper towel.  There was no soil.  The purpose of soil is to support the plant and stabilize the roots.

I hope that I have correctly concluded that plants do not require soil to get their food, as many plants don't require soil at all, but that plants have the ability to make their own food through photosynthesis and nutrients that a plant needs would be delivered to the plant by the water that it absorbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment