Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Science is everywhere!

I was a little disappointed to discover that I had accidently deleted this post. :(  I still don't have the hang of blogging.  So, for my friends who already read this, or something similar, I apologize for the repeat.

Saturday my 17 year old son graduated from high school.  It's been a busy weekend with parties and all of the festivities that go into a graduation, but I was excited that I found something to blog about in the midst of the chaos.  Saturday night, we went to a crawfish boil.  I've been to one before, but had never seen the crawfish before they became supper.  I was the only nerdy person that was remotely interested in the crawfish before going into the pot!




The little guy in my hand was the one that got away!  He somehow climbed out of the pool and was halfway across the yard before he was discovered.  We let him go to the creek so maybe he'll breed with a TN crawfish.  These crawfish came from Mississippi and apparently if you ice them, they go into "hibernation" until they thaw out.  Other crawfish facts:

"Crayfish, also known as crawfish, crawdads, freshwater lobsters, or mudbugs, are freshwater crustaceans resembling small lobsters, to which they are related; taxonomically, they are members of the superfamilies Astacoidea and Parastacoidea. They breathe through feather-like gills and are found in bodies of water that do not freeze to the bottom. They are mostly found in brooks and streams where there is fresh water running, and which have shelter against predators. Most crayfish cannot tolerate polluted water, although some species such as the invasive Procambarus clarkii are hardier. Crayfish feed on living and dead animals and plants."

Clyde, as we named him, is living free in Mill Creek!

3 comments:

  1. Aww long live Clyde, haha! The last time I was at a crawfish boil was down in Louisiana. Don't eat the dead ones, haha!

    When we went to the Harpeth River yesterday, we found a couple of little wading pools that were kid-safe. I taught Sylvia how to slowly lift the rocks to look for crawfish and snails, and we found some pretty big ones. She loved it! Don't worry, we were on the lookout for cottonmouths, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the dead ones were taken out before the others went into the pot!

      Delete